Sunday, September 13, 2009

Dominicanisms parte 2.

1. Colmado: Corner store. Usually playing really loud merengue or reggaeton music. You can't really buy anything good in these stores.
Pronunciation Guide: Kohl-mah-dough
Example: "I'm going to the colmado to pick up a packet of 2 aspirin. Need anything?"
"Yeah, can you get me an individually wrapped roll of toilet paper?"

2. Guineo: Banana
Pronunciation guide: Gee-nay-oh
Example: I wrapped my naked body in leaves from the guineo tree and went to the colmado."

3. Guapo: Angry, ready to figh.
Pronunciation Guide: GOO-ah-poh
Example: "That boy is very guapo. When I called him a 'maricon' he ripped out one of my braids."

4. Presidente: THE beer to drink in the DR. muy famoso.
Pronunciation Guide: Preh-zee-dent-ay
Example: "You wanna come with me to meet the Presidente?"
"Si, seƱor!" (wake up next morning in an unfamiliar room with a hangover).

5. Motoconcho: Motorcycle taxi. Dozens line up on street corners and offer rides. Generally driven by loud sweaty men who will say anything to get you to hop on. Cheapest, most dangerous and exciting form of transportation. The more people you fit on the seat, the better.
Pronunciation Guide: moe-toe-cone-CHoe
Example: "Today I pooped my pants on the motoconcho."

1 comment:

Gillian said...

OMG SO TOTALLY TRUE ABOUT EVERYTHING.
ANOTHER BEST POST EVER.
GOING TO READ THE NEXT ONE
WHICH WILL ALSO SURELY BE THE BEST.
EVER.